Participation of openSUSE Greek Community in Xariseto.gr Bazaar, May 14, 2011 (REPORT)
On May 14 2011, we joined the calling from our friends from the web
page xariseto.gr. They had a bazaar in , Thessaloniki, New statue
K.Karamanlis (40.622943, 22.951405 in google maps).
Xariseto is a festival where people meet and donate their personal
belongings which they don’t use any more. So as a Linux and openSUSE
community we thought that participating in these kind of festivals is
Me and Efstathios Iosifidis set up a booth in order to inform people
about FOSS and openSUSE project. We had all the related stuff about
openSUSE project around the booth (DVD’s , Cheat Sheet, flyer).
Many people asked us about the project, but let me inform you abou
these interesting questions…
1) What do you offer? What is openSUSE and FOSS?
2) Can i install openSUSE on my PC and also can i use my mother language?
3) Is it difficult to use?
4) Can i use openSUSE in order to write documents , watch videos ,and
surf in the net?
5) Where can i found help and more information about the project?
6) In the past i installed SUSE 6.0. Now can i install and use the
openSUSE at the same way? (that was one of my favorite questions)
7) My daughter owns a netbook Ubuntu Linux installed, can i install openSUSE?
8) Free Software means Free language? (this question remind me Richard
Stallman’s quote ” Free as in Freedom”)
So what did we have? What did we present in Xariseto Festival? Why did
we take part in?
* Event Date: May 14, 2011
* openSUSE Ambassadors: Efstathios Iosifidis, Rousinopoulos Athanasios-Ilias
* Event Details
o Tell us about the event, What did you do? We were informing people
about FOSS and openSUSE project. It’s a good opportunity to pass the
word since it’s crisis and people cannot buy new computers or
o How many DVDs taken and distributed? About 60 DVDs. We also used the
file Greek help flyer
o How many people were there at the event. Uncountable.
o Did you have a booth? Yes
o Who staffed the booth? Efstathios Iosifidis, Rousinopoulos Athanasios-Ilias
o Would you go again? Yes of course!
o What more can you do to make it better?
Furthermore i would like to mention that people from all ages (i could
say from 7 years old to 70 years old) asked about the openSUSE project
, some of them knew about Linux and FOSS , and others found
interesting the idea of using an open source,free software and safe
operating system for their pc’s , as well as to redistribute it to
You can find the photos of the event here :
(Efstathios Iosifidis and our booth!)
(A photo with our friends from the web page xariseto.gr)
Have a lot of fun!